Director 11…Bugs!

March 25th, 2008

OK. Director 11 is here. I found my first bug in about five minutes of playing. Is this a quirk, bug, or “feature?” Guess that is up to interpretation. Anyway…I put a Flash Component Button on the stage. I gave the sprite a name in the Property Inspector window. In a startMovie handler I used:

sprite("aName").label = "Some text"

This used to work in startMovie, but no longer does. It also used to work in a prepareFrame in frame 1 (which occurs before startMovie). This now seems to consistently fail in both Shockwave and Authoring on MacIntel and PPCs.

Bug, feature, or quirk. Hard to say. I guess it might be good to start getting all of these bugs in one place. Suggestions? I think DOUG might have a wiki up, or maybe Dean’s new site, or Director Quirk List…will have to look around when I get a few spare moments. Massive deadline this week…and lots of QA to do with the new Shockwave.

Entry Filed under: Daily thoughts,Director 11

11 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Jack Strand  |  March 24th, 2008 at 9:59 pm

    “Error: Adobe Director 11 cannot be installed because it conflicts with Adobe Director 11.”

    I can’t make up stuff that good.

    Way to go, Adobe.

  • 2. Raman  |  March 24th, 2008 at 10:43 pm

    On OSX you might be able to go to Applications > Utilities > Adobe Installers and find a deinstaller sitting there for Dir 11 (if perhaps a prior version is kicking around).

  • 3. VL-Tone  |  March 24th, 2008 at 11:07 pm

    I got it working on my intel Mac mini running 10.5.2.

    First problem so far, I can’t get any third party xtras to load… I modified the Xtrainfo.txt file (which for some reason had read-only permissions), and it still doesn’t work.

    Other observations:

    All MX projects (and older) have to be converted to work in 11, they can’t be opened as-is. Fortunately you can batch-convert projects.

    The new filters can only be applied to one sprite at a time!

    You can publish projectors in the Trial version. It’s not that surprising, but I remember hearing from adobe that the trial would be “the full version”.

    The trial version also has a “Adobe Director 11 Trial” badge at the bottom right of the stage window, which has a tendency to flicker in some projects.

  • 4. MultimediaGuy  |  March 24th, 2008 at 11:23 pm

    From what I’ve heard on 3rd party Xtras is they need to be updated to run with the new Director. On some mailing lists Xtra authors said they hope to do that soon.

    And my very initial thoughts (I’m currently on OSX 10.5.2 on G4 iBook…old school..use while sitting in front of tube computer).

    The output apps are UB. Good.

    The interface seems even more confusing than before. I really wonder what Adobe is thinking sometimes. Bad.

    Is pretty snappy even on my old iBook. Snappy. Good.

    Director got updated to run on MacIntel!!!!!! Good 🙂

    Time to sleep…hopefully SW11 will be waiting for me and my MacIntel in the morning.

  • 5. elMartino  |  March 25th, 2008 at 5:35 am

    I’m running the trial version on a Vista machine.. and my first impression is that the performance got a real boost. Some 3D stuff I made runs at least 4 times faster, with much better antialiasing. DX9.. finally!

    The major disappiontment came when I was rotating a textmember. There was a hint of antialiasing, but it just didn’t do the trick. It has been on everyones wishlist for years… a shame.

    At a first glance it’s not really much novelty… but who knows what power is still hidden within.

  • 6. Andreas  |  March 25th, 2008 at 7:55 am

    still no multiple undos… 2008…

  • 7. EDB  |  March 25th, 2008 at 1:58 pm

    Director 11 not able to update some old projects to new format. Seems balk on 32 bit graphics. Took all those out still has problem says file is corrupt.
    Mac OSX 10.5.2
    Failed on 2 out of three projects tested. The one that it worked on is VERY simple.

  • 8. EDB  |  March 25th, 2008 at 4:22 pm

    Apparently the problem converting projects has to do with changing the encoding. I was trying to change to UTF 8. When I leave it Western conversion goes OK

    But in Mac OSX 10.5.2
    Field cast member’s content is not rendered on the stage just blank.
    Changing Asian font Song text style to Bold does nothing — Text or field cast member edit or on stage.

    Performance switching to Play is very slow.
    Once in Play mode performance is abysmal.

    And no I can’t run Tiger — OSX 10.4 on this brand new Mac. New machines won’t let you install an older OS.

  • 9. EDB  |  March 25th, 2008 at 5:24 pm

    I’ve managed to make executables of my project.
    I can’t believe it my once 17MB app is now 600MB!
    Both the Mac and Windows apps are about the same ginormous size.

    It failed to put in Printomatic and buddyAPI since I don’t have updates for those. Could that have interrupted some file compaction?

    Anyway MIAW stuff runs very slowly at least on the Mac.

  • 10. Martin Schaefer  |  March 25th, 2008 at 7:54 pm

    This doesn’t work in MX 2004 (Win) either.
    Sure you didn’t use member(“aName”).label in the past?

  • 11. MultimediaGuy  |  March 25th, 2008 at 8:01 pm

    Just a named sprite. I’d never actually tried this on a PC…and I almost never touch a Flash Component.

    I noticed it not working in this post. The two buttons should get different text in them – source is there. I downloaded the source and tried it in MX2k4 and Dir11. Different results.

    Guess this one might go under quirk…used to work on Macs only. Now works on nothing 🙂

Leave a Comment


Required, hidden

Some HTML allowed:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Director Sites


March 2008
« Feb   Apr »


Recent Posts

Recent Comments